Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Brain Argument

Have you ever had a perfect comeback, the type of retort that makes everyone around you simultaneously say, "Zing!!"? 

I have.

In fact, this happened to me just this morning. I was in a conversation with someone who tends to disagree with me, and I pointed out their faults with such wit and wisdom that all who listened were astounded. My adversary even opened his heart to the error of his ways. It was awesome.

Now I have to admit, I did have a bit of a home-field advantage since this argument took place in my shower...and the man I was arguing with was not present.

Minor details aside, I still won the argument.

It seems like these brain arguments happen to me often. Even though I always win, I do not think this practice is healthy for several reasons...


1. I stop breathing.


I have noticed that whenever I come back to reality after arguing with someone in my head, I have to catch my breath. I guess I stopped breathing at some point during this imaginary debate. Although I am not a doctor anymore, I am pretty sure that not breathing is a bad thing. 

2. Brain arguments hurt relationships


An argument can be healthy if it has a purpose that is based on a clearly stated set of mutually agreed upon goals. If two leaders of a Church disagree about the necessity of hiring a youth minister, the argument can be holy, assuming that both leaders genuinely want what is best for the youth of the Church.

One-sided brain arguments are always unhealthy since the purpose and goal of the argument is always selfish in nature. This type of argument creates a rift between you and your perceived adversary without accomplishing a thing.

Healthy arguments can bring people closer together, but brain arguments only hurt the relationship.

3. Brain arguments take you away from this holy moment. 


Planning for the future is healthy. Learning from your past is helpful. But living in either is destructive. Brain arguments take us to a place that either has already happened or has not yet happened (and probably never will). Satan wants us to live in these moments. He wants to distract us from the present because he knows that  while God is timeless, we are bound to this present moment. We exist at no other time. So it is only in this present moment that we can have a genuine relationship with God.

Through brain arguments, Satan can hurt both our relationship with God and our relationships with one another. This is a deadly weapon that is aimed at our churches, our families, and our communities, yet we often welcome and rejoice in brain arguments - calling them fantasies and daydreams.

This week, pay attention to your brain. You might just improve your marriage, your ministry, and your relationship with your Creator.

1 comment: